PE and Sport
The Pines PE Vision Statement
At The Pines, we believe that physical education plays a vital role in the physical, social, emotional and intellectual development of our children. We will promote excellence in this subject though teaching our children about healthy lifestyles, engaging in competitive sport and developing determination to excel in a broad range of PE. Through this we want to inspire a generation to hold values of respect, excellence and friendship and instil a lifelong participation in physical activity.
In the Spring of 2017, we introduced the Daily Mile as part of a planned focus on Health and Wellbeing which has been received by the children with great enthusiasm. The children aim to run a mile around the school field every day, in order to develop their fitness levels and support their emotional health.
Summary of the Daily Mile
- The Daily Mile is not PE, cross country or sport. It is physical, emotional, social and mental Health and Wellbeing
- The Daily Mile session lasts for 15 minutes of the school afternoon each day
- Children are encouraged to run, but participate at a pace and distance that they are comfortable with and gradually build up their fitness and work towards completing a mile.
- Staff members participate with the children
Impacts of the Daily Mile Initiative across the UK
- Within 4 weeks, children who completethe Daily Mile become fit
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Improves fitness and energy levels
- Increases concentration and confidence
- Develops resilience
- Develops determination.
- Reduces obesity in all ages and improve health outcomes for life.